Saturday, June 28, 2014

Made in Mongolia

Winter in Mongolia is a very quiet time of year for tourists. Although I keep three gers open for travellers, we do not receive that many people. I like to keep busy, so during the winter months, my mum and I make souvenirs for our small handicrafts shop.

Hand made and home made - our small souvenir shop!
My grandmother taught my mum when she was a child  how to make  traditional items  such as the Mongolian deel  and  my mum still enjoys making products by hand. Traditionally in Mongolia, deels have always been made by hand by the females of the family.


This is a recent photo of me together with my grandmother - Dolgorjav.She is 80  years old and lives in Erdenet, one of Mongolia's other cities outside of UB. 

If you like the sound of learning how to make some traditional Mongolian souvenirs, my ger guesthouse is open to all travellers. Please just get in touch - I am happy to help and would love to welcome you to Kharkhorin and to teach you.


Thank you for spending time on my blog. I will be back soon.

Saikhan Amraarai, Gaya

No comments:

Post a Comment